Friday 12 December 2014

Journal entry #5

During our assignment of creating a game on sploder I chose to create a game using the Retro Arcade feature on the site. My game consisted of four levels, each increasingly harder than the last. Also, I attempted to make each level different from the others, whether it be with the theme or simply with the characteristics of the challenges and obstacles throughout the stage. For me, the easier aspects of the game were not creating the grounding or choosing the way I was going to plan it out, but just adding in all the smaller details like enemies, treasures, etc. The most challenging thing for me throughout this assignment, was trying to make each level difficult without being impossible. To fix these issues I had to constantly replay my game to attempt to make it as doable as possible without making it too simple. I did help out several of my friends to create their games, I would play theirs for as long as possible and give them feedback on whatever needed to be fixed or challenges that I found too easy to complete. Sploder seemed to be a very effective site for creating games, although I didn't particularly enjoy this assignment, I did find that people who were more into gaming or video game design found it much more appealing. The thing I did like best overall throughout this assignment was just playing the games after finishing, it sounds lazy, but it was a lot more entertaining. Least of all the things I enjoyed was the complications with saving my game, some days the changes I made before hand would erase and it was just a huge inconvenience. I would definitely not call myself a "serious" gamer, I would have to be a casual gamer. Gaming is not something I would do for fun, more of a thing to "pass the time", and that would only be if reading or watching a movie was not an option. Occasionally, I will play fighting or racing games with my brother and cousin, for example, Mario Smash Bros or Mario Kart. A favourite game is not something I would say I have, I don't play enough of them to have a favourite. My mobile device does not have any games on it other than social media apps such as Facebook, but when I do play games with family, we usually use a game console.

No comments:

Post a Comment