Thursday 11 February 2016

Digital Security (Assignment One)

In my opinion I would say that the passwords, 123456, password, and 12345678 are all very simple passwords to guess.  Mainly because I feel whenever someone has chosen a password for a site their first instinct is to put something they know they will remember, and since we've been taught numbers since pre-K, that is one thing you will undoubtedly remember.  As well, "password" as a password is extremely obvious, partially because it is written right beside the box where we enter our password, so it's almost impossible to forget it.

As someone who has been using passwords for as long as I can remember, I can't say I do remember ever using these passwords, maybe for a little thing like a locked diary or something of that sort, but never for any of my social media or games.  I haven't used any of these probably because I have absolutely no trust in easy passwords like these, even today, half of my passwords are sentences instead of a simple word or number, just to keep the difficulty level high.

I do believe seniors and adults may be more likely to use these passwords, because they are the main group of people who seem to forget things more frequently.  Since they have more trouble remembering, they likely go to using more simple methods for passwords, than difficult ones.  It's to my believe that we could prevent these disasters by causing better password protection, with backup technology such as using security questions, like many websites do, about things only you would know/remember.

Other terrible ideas for passwords that were not shown on this list would include using your own name, your favourite colour, pets names, etc.  Basically, anything that would be public knowledge, or easily accessible to anyone other than yourself.

I don't believe their should be a limit about the least amount of characters used, but I do think that a password containing only a few characters could be extremely simple to find out.  As long as your password is something you can remember and keep private, your characters used should not matter, in my opinion.  It is stated though, that sentence passwords are a lot more difficult to reveal using computers than one word passwords are, as well as passwords containing variety in symbols and numbers.

No comments:

Post a Comment