Thursday 11 February 2016

Journal #1: Digital Security

After completing assignment one in Digital Security, I was surprised to find that people still use number sequences as valid passwords.  I thought that many people knew that was far from a good idea, and to create more complex passwords.  Also, I noticed that it does take a lot to create an effective password, that is in fact seen as "strong".  You cannot just use one or two words/numbers/symbols, you should have a complete sentence of sorts before it is viewed as acceptable.

For me, it was slightly confusing to figure out how to create a safe password that computers can't find.  As well, I had difficulty deciding whether or not adults are more prone to using simple passwords.  This was difficult to me because I compared the selections to teenagers today, and I know for a fact that I am very likely to forget passwords.  Along with many other teens, I believe I forget these things because we are too preoccupied with our own lives and business that we tend to push things like that aside and lose them.

I believe my passwords are very secure based on the sections I reviewed.  They match up to the required criteria involving multiple words, symbols, and letters, and variations within those things.  Even so, I have tested out my passwords in the calculator provided which stated that I possessed strong passwords.

In my opinion it is important to consider all of your passwords carefully when choosing one because each and every website we use online holds at least small bits of personal information about us all.  If we do not take it into special account, we could be putting that data out into the wrong hands, without even knowing it.  When you think about Digital Security, it is important to remember what is too much information.  You wouldn't give out your address, phone number, or even your complete name/family's name, out to a complete stranger, so why do we do it online?  It is important to consider that when you give these details about yourself to websites and social media, you really don't know where that information is going for certain.

No comments:

Post a Comment