Thursday 25 February 2016

Journal #7: Digital Access


One of the most surprising aspects of this unit for me, is the realization of how much we actually depend on technology. Today, if you live in an area with lack of, or slow, internet, odds are you will either complain until it gets fixed, or switch locations. It amazes me how much we use technology today, and how much even little towns are developing, just to keep from becoming a "ghost town". The thought of eventually becoming so dependent on technology in the future terrifies me. Some day, it is possible that this will occur, and there are so many benefits, but risks as well that this unit has shocked me with.

The most difficult part of this unit for me, was attempting to understand, and find, ways that technology could be harmful in the long run. I had to think about the chance of hacking, or the theft of personal information that could occur. Also, how these things could effect everyone was a big thought I had to consider. Eventually, I did decide on a few negative aspects, as well as positive, for the situations provided in assignment #2.


I do believe everyone should have reliable, fast access to the internet. It is helpful for many workers, as well as school goers, to complete their assignments, and other internet related work, at home. Also, it is a great method of communication for many families who are not always side by side. The internet is an amazing thing that connects a lot of people in many ways, to not have that connection would be difficult.


I believe everyone has a time when they become concerned about their privacy online, I am not exception. Especially over social media, with everyone being able to see everything, it is a scary situation. I am always considering ways to protect myself online, avoiding sharing too much is always a concern. You will never see me getting too personal or informative about myself online, I just do not seem to trust the internet that much. Constantly, I am protecting my accounts, like Instagram, my profile is private enough so that anyone who wishes to view my photos, or information, has to send a request by me first. I believe this is something all users should do.


Every time I post online today, I am always thinking about the future. It scares me that some of the ignorant, inconsiderate, posts I may have made in the past, when I was overly immature, could come back to haunt me in the future. So, today, I am constantly overlooking, and over thinking, each post I make so that I know it cannot harm me later in life. I hear stories all the time of employers, and post-secondary administrators examining their applicants social media to get an idea of what kind of person they are, and I do not wish for that to be me in a negative sense. Today, any controversial posts I may have are probably my opinions, or thoughts on subjects that I would be willing to stand by on 100%. If in the future, these posts do happen to affect me, odds are I will not be willing to comply with those of whom disagree to the extent of denying me a position of any sort.



I think the biggest issue with young people today, and digital access is the failure to think about the future. You see children, and teens of all ages, posting harmful media that some day will most likely harm them greatly. It is my opinion that everyone should carefully monitor what they post online now, because that stuff does not go away, and the internet is a huge place. In the future, you will regret your past decisions, if it affects you, and possibly your dream school, or even job. Everyone should think twice before hitting that post button.

No comments:

Post a Comment